Skip to main content

I just turned 40 and my life is not what I hoped for. How can I make it better for myself?

I just turned 40 and my life is not what I hoped for. How can I make it better for myself?



It’s scary that life can disappoint us in big ways, writes advice columnist Eleanor Gordon-Smith. You can either change how you’re living, or how you feel about it


I recently turned 40 and I feel that everything is coming to an end, rather than it being the middle of my life. I spent much of my 30s caring for my elderly parents while I lived in insecure share houses. I was single for all those years, apart from a couple of brief relationships. My mother died during the pandemic and my father moved cities and is now looked after by one of my siblings. I am terrified of losing him, but he is increasingly frail each time I visit, which I’m not able to do often due to my job.

I still work in a junior role despite my age and I did not manage to maintain friendships as my experience was so different from theirs. I am being bullied at work and I find it heartrending that I spend my days in an environment where this is happening, while not being able to see my father.

I also know that by spending all my emotional resources on the family I grew up in, I have not been able to start one of my own. It is likely that even if I met someone now it would be too late for us to have a child – and, as a heterosexual woman, I feel increasingly disillusioned as I see the terrible outcomes for everyone living in a patriarchy.

I want so much better for myself than what my life currently consists of. I feel too vulnerable to follow the standard advice of getting out there, meeting new people. This seems like it is keeping me isolated, while I cower from the idea of losing my father. Any thoughts you may have would be welcomed.

Eleanor says: It’s just rotten to arrive at an important milestone feeling as though you don’t like your life. It’s hard to say which is more painful – admitting that you hoped it would be different, or admitting that that hope has been disappointed.

You’ve pointed to a lot of domains where it sounds as though you want things to be “further along”. Career, romance, friendships, starting your own family. That’s a big list. There are not many people who, at 40, feel they’ve got everything sorted in these areas, or in the balance of how much life they take up. Everybody feels they’ve fallen behind. When we peer into other people’s lives from the outside they look more together than they feel on the inside.

You also received something in exchange for the sacrifices you made. You took care of your parents, you got to be with your mother when she needed you most; it sounds like you’re close to your family. That can be a blueprint for love and care that a lot of people wish they had – lots of people would trade every success they have for 15 more minutes with a parent.

Those two thoughts might lessen some of the sting you’re feeling. But I know it won’t totally take it away. It’s just hugely painful to know that our one life hasn’t – so far – gone the way we wanted.

Maybe, before we can respond to these disappointments, we have to grieve a bit – to say “well, shit” about where we’ve ended up. It’s scary that life can disappoint us in big ways. It’s so scary that sometimes we feel those thoughts as a background hum but try to push them aside, strategise them away, or stay optimistic because we want the resolve to change things. Maybe it would help to just let it on stage for a specified period of time: “I’m having a horrible time and I’m not where I wanted to be.” Get those feelings out, don’t fight them.

You’re not alone in feeling as though you don’t have the energy to do the things that might help, and I won’t waste your time with tips on getting out there. But maybe a bigger question might help. There are really only two things we can do in response to big disappointments: we can try to change our circumstances, or we can try to change our reactions. Which do you most want?

Read More


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The devil waits at every crossroads: a walk between darkness and light on Dartmoor

  The devil waits at every crossroads: a walk between darkness and light on Dartmoor The new 38-mile Archangel’s Way, a pilgrimage route in a rugged corner of Devon, straddles Christendom and ancient pagan sites T he story of the church of St Michael de Rupe begins – as all the best Dartmoor stories do – on a dark and stormy night. A sailor, stricken in a wild and furious sea, fell to the deck of his ship to pray for salvation. The almighty unveiled a mountain in the midst of the tempest where the ship duly made landfall: in gratitude the sailor built a church on its summit. The devil – who had unleashed that evil storm – did his best to prise the church from its foundations, but Archangel Michael sprung to its defence and became the patron of this Devon parish. The tale has many versions, but this is the general gist. Today, St Michael de Rupe counts as the highest working church in southern England – poised dramatically on top of a western outlier of Dartmoor’s tor...

How to Make a DIY Carboard RC Plane (1-10)

  How to Make a DIY Carboard RC Plane Hello, fellow makers!πŸ‘‹  I'm excited to share my latest project with you—building a remote-controlled airplane from cardboard.✈️ As an RC enthusiast who loves drones and everything related to remote-controlled vehicles, I always wanted to create my own plane, but I was put off by the high costs and complexity of traditional materials. So, I decided to take a different approach and use readily available and affordable materials like cardboard. However, I was initially hesitant because I wasn't sure if a plane made of cardboard would actually fly. But after doing some research and putting my design skills to the test, I decided to go for it. πŸ› ️ In this instructable, I'll guide you through the process of building a sturdy and functional RC airplane using a cardboard fuselage and wings, along with a few 3D-printed parts and the electronics. This project was not only fun and educational but also incredibly rewarding. I learned a...

Did you know that if your ear hairs grow, it is because your body is

  Did you know that if your ear hairs grow, it is because your body is Ear hair growth is a natural part of aging for many people. As we get older, hormonal changes can lead to an increase in hair growth in certain areas, including the ears. This is often due to changes in testosterone levels, which can stimulate hair follicles in the ear. Additionally, genetics can play a role in how much ear hair a person develops. While some people may notice only a little hair growth, others might experience more significant growth. It’s a normal process, but if the hair becomes bothersome, there are grooming options available to manage it. It’s also interesting to note that some people might be more prone to this due to their family history. If you notice it becoming a bit much, there are safe ways to manage it, like trimming or using specialized grooming tools. Just make sure to be careful when doing so! Ear hair growth is a common phenomenon, especially as people age. Th...