Skip to main content

Mom who had a full-body scan ‘for fun’ learns she was ‘a ticking time bomb’ as test revealed life-threatening condition

 

Mom who had a full-body scan ‘for fun’ learns she was ‘a ticking time bomb’ as test revealed life-threatening condition

A mother went for a full body scan without any reason was shocked to learn that she had a “ticking time bomb” lurking in her body.

GettyImages-2177438948.jpg

You can pay for a full MRI scan. Credit: Comezora / Getty

Sarah Blackburn, a young mom and viral TikToker, thought she was making a proactive move when she signed up for a full-body MRI with Prenuvo.

Instead, it launched her into what she called “the darkest two months that we’ve had as a family.”

“I had a full-body MRI just for fun. No symptoms whatsoever,” Blackburn said in a now-viral TikTok. She was expecting peace of mind — but got a diagnosis she never saw coming.

Blackburn took the $2,500 Prenuvo scan at its Houston location earlier this year.

Marketed as a preventative tool, the 60-minute MRI scans from head to ankle and promises to detect hundreds of conditions, including so-called “silent killers like aneurysms.”

The scans are not covered by insurance and are not meant to replace traditional screenings like mammograms or pap smears.

Still, for Blackburn, whose family has a history of cancer, the test felt like a worthwhile investment.

“I thought this would be a huge difference that could make or break the situation,” she said. “I can get ahead of this.”

She treated the experience like a day of self-care, even snapping selfies in her scrubs and watching Netflix during the scan.

“Everything at Prenuvo was great,” she recalled. “It did kind of feel like a spa day — until it didn’t.”

Four days later, around 8:30PM, she got her results — and everything changed.

Her report flagged an “important finding” under the circulatory system category: a splenic artery aneurysm.

The report noted that while most splenic artery aneurysms are incidental findings, “if a splenic artery aneurysm ruptures, there is a one in three mortality rate.”

“I just went into a full-blown panic attack when I got my results,” Blackburn said. “I literally felt like a ticking time bomb was in my body.”

What followed were countless appointments, consultations, and mounting anxiety.

“It was a really dark and hard two months, where I was spiraling and freaking out and seeing a lot of doctors and pretty much treating my body like glass because I had no idea about this,” she said.

GettyImages-1464014301.jpgThe scan revealed some troubling issues. Credit: izusek / Getty

A follow-up CT scan revealed not one, but two aneurysms.

Several doctors recommended spleen removal due to the size and location of the aneurysms.

Blackburn, who previously had a lesion show up in a 2020 ultrasound (that she never knew about), decided to go through with surgery.

“Read your radiology reports,” she told PEOPLE. “I did not read it. I just thought, ‘Okay, I’m going to get told everything that needs attention.’ But, that was not the case.”

Fortunately, her spleen removal surgery was successful. “I will be starting the journey of life without a spleen, which I think is going to be okay. It’s going to be better than having to live in fear of having a ruptured aneurysm,” she said.

Still, the experience has left lasting scars — particularly emotionally.

“I’m happy that I know about this and had the chance to decide what I wanted to do moving forward,” she shared. But she added that the ordeal triggered “debilitating health anxiety.”

“For the people who already have existing health anxiety, I truly don’t know if I can recommend it,” she said.

Despite that, Blackburn is happy she went through with it.

“I feel grateful,” she said. “I am happy that I know about this and had the chance to decide what I wanted to do moving forward.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The devil waits at every crossroads: a walk between darkness and light on Dartmoor

  The devil waits at every crossroads: a walk between darkness and light on Dartmoor The new 38-mile Archangel’s Way, a pilgrimage route in a rugged corner of Devon, straddles Christendom and ancient pagan sites T he story of the church of St Michael de Rupe begins – as all the best Dartmoor stories do – on a dark and stormy night. A sailor, stricken in a wild and furious sea, fell to the deck of his ship to pray for salvation. The almighty unveiled a mountain in the midst of the tempest where the ship duly made landfall: in gratitude the sailor built a church on its summit. The devil – who had unleashed that evil storm – did his best to prise the church from its foundations, but Archangel Michael sprung to its defence and became the patron of this Devon parish. The tale has many versions, but this is the general gist. Today, St Michael de Rupe counts as the highest working church in southern England – poised dramatically on top of a western outlier of Dartmoor’s tor...

How to Make a DIY Carboard RC Plane (1-10)

  How to Make a DIY Carboard RC Plane Hello, fellow makers!👋  I'm excited to share my latest project with you—building a remote-controlled airplane from cardboard.✈️ As an RC enthusiast who loves drones and everything related to remote-controlled vehicles, I always wanted to create my own plane, but I was put off by the high costs and complexity of traditional materials. So, I decided to take a different approach and use readily available and affordable materials like cardboard. However, I was initially hesitant because I wasn't sure if a plane made of cardboard would actually fly. But after doing some research and putting my design skills to the test, I decided to go for it. 🛠️ In this instructable, I'll guide you through the process of building a sturdy and functional RC airplane using a cardboard fuselage and wings, along with a few 3D-printed parts and the electronics. This project was not only fun and educational but also incredibly rewarding. I learned a...

Did you know that if your ear hairs grow, it is because your body is

  Did you know that if your ear hairs grow, it is because your body is Ear hair growth is a natural part of aging for many people. As we get older, hormonal changes can lead to an increase in hair growth in certain areas, including the ears. This is often due to changes in testosterone levels, which can stimulate hair follicles in the ear. Additionally, genetics can play a role in how much ear hair a person develops. While some people may notice only a little hair growth, others might experience more significant growth. It’s a normal process, but if the hair becomes bothersome, there are grooming options available to manage it. It’s also interesting to note that some people might be more prone to this due to their family history. If you notice it becoming a bit much, there are safe ways to manage it, like trimming or using specialized grooming tools. Just make sure to be careful when doing so! Ear hair growth is a common phenomenon, especially as people age. Th...