Skip to main content

$250,000 has been raised for Austin Metcalf following tragic death at track meet, as $65,000 is raised for alleged killer

 

$250,000 has been raised for Austin Metcalf following tragic death at track meet, as $65,000 is raised for alleged killer

Donations are pouring in for both sides of a heartbreaking tragedy that left 17-year-old Austin Metcalf dead in his twin brother’s arms and another teen behind bars accused of murder.

Screenshot 2025-04-05 at 15.18.19.jpgOver $65K has been raised for alleged killer Karmelo Anthony. Credit: Frisco Police Department

A GoFundMe set up for Metcalf, a Texas high school football standout fatally stabbed during a track meet last week, has raised just shy of $250,000 (as of this writing).

Meanwhile, a separate fundraiser for the accused killer, Karmelo Anthony, also 17, has topped $65,000 as of Sunday (April 6) – despite the teen facing a first-degree murder charge.

The donations campaign for Anthony was launched on GiveSendGo, a site that also previously hosted a legal defense fundraiser for Daniel Penny, the man charged in the NYC subway chokehold death.

“The narrative being spread is false, unjust, and harmful,” the campaign states, asserting Anthony acted in self-defense. “As a family of faith, we are deeply grateful for all of your support during this trying period. Your prayers and assistance mean more to us now more than ever.”

The campaign had collected more than $66,000 from around 1,600 donors by Sunday morning.

Many commenters claimed Anthony had been bullied before the deadly encounter, with one writing: “I’m praying for you Kamelo. It’s ok to defend yourself from bullying,” and another posting, “This baby was bullied and was defending himself, I know it’s more to this story. I’m praying for you and your family.”

Screenshot 2025-04-04 at 11.04.45.jpgAustin Metcalf was stabbed to death on Wednesday. Credit: GoFundMe

According to the arrest affidavit obtained by NBC DFW, the tragic incident unfolded last Wednesday (April 2) after Metcalf – who had reportedly never met Anthony before – asked him to move from his track team’s tent.

Witnesses say Anthony refused and warned, “Touch me and see what happens.” When Metcalf grabbed him to move him, police say Anthony unzipped a bag, pulled out a black knife, and stabbed the junior linebacker once in the chest.

The blade pierced Austin’s heart, and he died in the arms of his identical twin brother, Hunter, before he could be saved.

“I put my hand on [his chest], tried to make [the bleeding] stop, and I grabbed his head and I looked in his eyes. I just saw his soul leave. And it took my soul, too,” Hunter shared during an emotional interview on Fox News.

Their father, Jeff, arrived at the scene to find his son covered in blood with a severe chest wound. At the hospital, he shared a final, quiet goodbye – gently kissing Austin’s forehead and running his fingers through his hair.

Anthony was arrested at the scene and allegedly confessed, telling police, “I’m not alleged, I did it.” He also told officers: “I was protecting myself. He put his hands on me.”

Despite the charges, Anthony’s father defended his son to The New York Post, saying the teen was a hardworking student with a 3.7 GPA who held two jobs.

“He’s a good kid,” the elder Anthony said. “He was not the aggressor. He was not the one who started it. I feel bad for the other parents and family, and words can’t explain how both [families] have been affected by this tragedy.”

The accused teen’s attorney, Deric Walpole, is now seeking to have his client’s $1 million bond reduced, arguing the teen possibly acted in self-defense.

“I know that my client said it was self-defense,” he said, per the outlet. “I don’t have any reason to disbelieve that, but I need to develop facts, talk to people, and figure out what’s going on before I make any statements about what I think happened.”

“I don’t have any reason to think it wasn’t self defense at this time,” he added.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The devil waits at every crossroads: a walk between darkness and light on Dartmoor

  The devil waits at every crossroads: a walk between darkness and light on Dartmoor The new 38-mile Archangel’s Way, a pilgrimage route in a rugged corner of Devon, straddles Christendom and ancient pagan sites T he story of the church of St Michael de Rupe begins – as all the best Dartmoor stories do – on a dark and stormy night. A sailor, stricken in a wild and furious sea, fell to the deck of his ship to pray for salvation. The almighty unveiled a mountain in the midst of the tempest where the ship duly made landfall: in gratitude the sailor built a church on its summit. The devil – who had unleashed that evil storm – did his best to prise the church from its foundations, but Archangel Michael sprung to its defence and became the patron of this Devon parish. The tale has many versions, but this is the general gist. Today, St Michael de Rupe counts as the highest working church in southern England – poised dramatically on top of a western outlier of Dartmoor’s tor...

How to Make a DIY Carboard RC Plane (1-10)

  How to Make a DIY Carboard RC Plane Hello, fellow makers!👋  I'm excited to share my latest project with you—building a remote-controlled airplane from cardboard.✈️ As an RC enthusiast who loves drones and everything related to remote-controlled vehicles, I always wanted to create my own plane, but I was put off by the high costs and complexity of traditional materials. So, I decided to take a different approach and use readily available and affordable materials like cardboard. However, I was initially hesitant because I wasn't sure if a plane made of cardboard would actually fly. But after doing some research and putting my design skills to the test, I decided to go for it. 🛠️ In this instructable, I'll guide you through the process of building a sturdy and functional RC airplane using a cardboard fuselage and wings, along with a few 3D-printed parts and the electronics. This project was not only fun and educational but also incredibly rewarding. I learned a...

Did you know that if your ear hairs grow, it is because your body is

  Did you know that if your ear hairs grow, it is because your body is Ear hair growth is a natural part of aging for many people. As we get older, hormonal changes can lead to an increase in hair growth in certain areas, including the ears. This is often due to changes in testosterone levels, which can stimulate hair follicles in the ear. Additionally, genetics can play a role in how much ear hair a person develops. While some people may notice only a little hair growth, others might experience more significant growth. It’s a normal process, but if the hair becomes bothersome, there are grooming options available to manage it. It’s also interesting to note that some people might be more prone to this due to their family history. If you notice it becoming a bit much, there are safe ways to manage it, like trimming or using specialized grooming tools. Just make sure to be careful when doing so! Ear hair growth is a common phenomenon, especially as people age. Th...