Skip to main content

‘Harry Potter’ actor Simon Fisher-Becker dies, aged 63

 

‘Harry Potter’ actor Simon Fisher-Becker dies, aged 63

The world of film lost a star. Actor Simon Fisher-Becker, best known for his roles in Harry Potter and Doctor Who, died aged 63.

The news of his passing was announced by his husband, Tony, via a post through the late actor’s social media account.

“Hello everyone. This is Tony, Simon’s husband,” the post read. “I have some very sad news. At 2:50 this afternoon Simon passed away. I’ll be keeping this account open for a while. I’m not sure at this point if I’ll be posting again. Thank you.”

Simon Fisher-Becker (Bobby Bank/ WireImage)

His manager, Kim Barry, also confirmed the death of the actor.

“Today I lost not only a client in Simon Fisher-Becker, but a close personal friend of 15 years standing.

“I shall never forget the phone call I made to him when he was offered the part of Dorium Maldovar in BBC’s Doctor Who,” Barry told the New York Post. “Simon was also a writer, a raconteur and a great public speaker. He helped me out enormously and was kind, gracious and interested in everyone. My condolences go to his husband Tony, his brother, nieces and nephews and his legion of fans.”

His acting career spanned decades.

Simon Fisher-Backer as The Fat Friar in the first Harry Potter film
Simon Fisher-Backer as The Fat Friar in the first Harry Potter film/ Warner Bros

Besides his iconic roles of the Fat Friar in Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone and the blue-skinned intergalactic black marketeer in Doctor Who, Simon Fisher-Becker made several notable appearances in beloved British television programs such as One Foot in the Grave, The Bill, and Doctors.

He also had a small part in the Oscar-winning film Les Misérables.

Tributes poured in, with fellow actors and fans expressing their sadness over Fisher-Becker’s sudden passing.

Simon Fisher-Becker in Doctor Who
Simon Fisher-Becker in Doctor Who (BBC)

“His stage routine was one of the funniest things I’ve heard in ages. A dear man who valued his audiences. RIP Simon, shine on,” a fan posted.

“Really sad news. I met him at a con a few years ago and he was really lovely,” another shared.

“Incredibly upsetting to hear. What’s lovely is that both Dorium and the maldovarium/maldovar market are plastered all over the Moffat era of Doctor who. He’ll never be forgotten,” a third fan expressed their sorrow.

The cause of death has not yet been confirmed.

Rest in peace, Simon Fisher-Becker.

Please SHARE this article with your family and friends on Facebook.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The devil waits at every crossroads: a walk between darkness and light on Dartmoor

  The devil waits at every crossroads: a walk between darkness and light on Dartmoor The new 38-mile Archangel’s Way, a pilgrimage route in a rugged corner of Devon, straddles Christendom and ancient pagan sites T he story of the church of St Michael de Rupe begins – as all the best Dartmoor stories do – on a dark and stormy night. A sailor, stricken in a wild and furious sea, fell to the deck of his ship to pray for salvation. The almighty unveiled a mountain in the midst of the tempest where the ship duly made landfall: in gratitude the sailor built a church on its summit. The devil – who had unleashed that evil storm – did his best to prise the church from its foundations, but Archangel Michael sprung to its defence and became the patron of this Devon parish. The tale has many versions, but this is the general gist. Today, St Michael de Rupe counts as the highest working church in southern England – poised dramatically on top of a western outlier of Dartmoor’s tor...

How to Make a DIY Carboard RC Plane (1-10)

  How to Make a DIY Carboard RC Plane Hello, fellow makers!👋  I'm excited to share my latest project with you—building a remote-controlled airplane from cardboard.✈️ As an RC enthusiast who loves drones and everything related to remote-controlled vehicles, I always wanted to create my own plane, but I was put off by the high costs and complexity of traditional materials. So, I decided to take a different approach and use readily available and affordable materials like cardboard. However, I was initially hesitant because I wasn't sure if a plane made of cardboard would actually fly. But after doing some research and putting my design skills to the test, I decided to go for it. 🛠️ In this instructable, I'll guide you through the process of building a sturdy and functional RC airplane using a cardboard fuselage and wings, along with a few 3D-printed parts and the electronics. This project was not only fun and educational but also incredibly rewarding. I learned a...

Did you know that if your ear hairs grow, it is because your body is

  Did you know that if your ear hairs grow, it is because your body is Ear hair growth is a natural part of aging for many people. As we get older, hormonal changes can lead to an increase in hair growth in certain areas, including the ears. This is often due to changes in testosterone levels, which can stimulate hair follicles in the ear. Additionally, genetics can play a role in how much ear hair a person develops. While some people may notice only a little hair growth, others might experience more significant growth. It’s a normal process, but if the hair becomes bothersome, there are grooming options available to manage it. It’s also interesting to note that some people might be more prone to this due to their family history. If you notice it becoming a bit much, there are safe ways to manage it, like trimming or using specialized grooming tools. Just make sure to be careful when doing so! Ear hair growth is a common phenomenon, especially as people age. Th...