Skip to main content

Lindsay Dewey’s 22-month-old son tragically dies in horrific freak accident

 

Lindsay Dewey’s 22-month-old son tragically dies in horrific freak accident

Lindsay Dewey has shared the heartbreaking news that her 22-month-old son, Reed, died following a tragic accident involving an unsecured mirror in their home.

The parenting and homemaking influencer from Idaho opened up to her Instagram followers about the February incident that claimed the life of her youngest child.

According to the mom-of-three, the accident occurred when Reed was playing with a suction cup bowl. He had apparently been using it on a large mirror, sticking it on and pulling it back and forth. The repeated motion eventually caused the mirror to fall on him.

“To make a long story short, apparently Reed had one of his suction cup bowls and stuck it on the mirror and was pulling it ‘back and forth’ to pry it off (we’re assuming) and he pulled the mirror down on himself,” Dewey explained on Instagram. “I never even heard him playing by/with the mirror — until I heard it fall and then within 5 seconds I lifted it off of him.”

At the time of the accident, Dewey had been preparing dinner just 10 feet away. She initially believed her son was in another part of the house, still playing with magnetic tiles.

Screenshot 2025-04-02 at 09.39.23.pngCredit: lindsaymdewey/Instagram

She described the mirror as “heavy duty” and noted that it had previously been stabilized by a chair, which had been moved shortly before the incident to clean up after the family dog.

“When it initially happened, I was so confused as to HOW it happened,” she wrote. “There is no way our kids are strong enough to move it, let alone pull it down on themselves. And we knew that so the urgency to anchor it wasn’t there. It seemed impossible for it to just randomly fall down for no reason considering its placement and weight. But when I picked it up and leaned it back on the wall, I noticed his bowl was stuck to it … I figured out EXACTLY how it happened.”

Screenshot 2025-04-02 at 09.41.50.pngCredit: lindsaymdewey/Instagram

Reed sustained a fractured skull and suffered a severe traumatic brain injury. Though he was rushed to the hospital and placed in a coma, with some initial signs of pupil response and breathing, swelling ultimately left him with no brain function. Dewey said doctors determined he was brain dead days later.

“Never did we expect that it would be so serious that he wouldn’t survive it,” she said.

In the wake of his death, Reed became an organ donor. Dewey wrote, “I’ve been telling myself ‘If he doesn’t get his miracle, he will become one’ and that’s the only thing that’s getting me through. Even though his wasn’t saved, he is saving lives.”

“The worst day of our lives became the best day of someone else’s and for that I will forever be grateful for our little hero baby. You’re someone’s miracle, Reed Michael. 5 little kids miracle to be exact. I couldn’t stop thinking about the families who got the best call of their life, their answered prayer,” she added.

Dewey emphasized that the mirror had not been designed to be mounted or anchored, which added to the mistaken sense of safety. She also said her family typically kept a chair in front of the mirror for stability, which was absent only because of recent cleaning.

“There were so many details that led up to this being a perfect storm. All in all, just a tragic unexpected accident. That we can never take back,” she wrote.

While she acknowledged fears of backlash from strangers, Dewey said she decided to share the painful story to potentially help other families. “We both are still in complete shock that this is what took our baby from us. We’re only sharing this because we don’t want this happening to anybody,” she said.

Dewey described herself as a “protective mom,” with extensive safety measures already in place—child locks on windows, doors, gates, and outlets, and anchors on furniture. Still, this one oversight had devastating consequences.

Screenshot 2025-04-02 at 09.51.58.pngCredit: lindsaymdewey/Instagram

“Mommy misses you so badly and I’m so sorry this happened to you my perfect baby boy,” she wrote.

Since the tragedy, a clothing brand called Little Hunters Wife has launched a “Remembering Reed” collection of apparel, with all profits going to support Dewey and her husband Eric.

In her grief, Dewey rejected the notion of becoming a public figure. “I’m just your average mama of three, homemaker, fire wife, who is obsessed with her family, living in Idaho,” she wrote. “To paint the picture that I’m just another self-centered influencer is appalling.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The devil waits at every crossroads: a walk between darkness and light on Dartmoor

  The devil waits at every crossroads: a walk between darkness and light on Dartmoor The new 38-mile Archangel’s Way, a pilgrimage route in a rugged corner of Devon, straddles Christendom and ancient pagan sites T he story of the church of St Michael de Rupe begins – as all the best Dartmoor stories do – on a dark and stormy night. A sailor, stricken in a wild and furious sea, fell to the deck of his ship to pray for salvation. The almighty unveiled a mountain in the midst of the tempest where the ship duly made landfall: in gratitude the sailor built a church on its summit. The devil – who had unleashed that evil storm – did his best to prise the church from its foundations, but Archangel Michael sprung to its defence and became the patron of this Devon parish. The tale has many versions, but this is the general gist. Today, St Michael de Rupe counts as the highest working church in southern England – poised dramatically on top of a western outlier of Dartmoor’s tor...

How to Make a DIY Carboard RC Plane (1-10)

  How to Make a DIY Carboard RC Plane Hello, fellow makers!👋  I'm excited to share my latest project with you—building a remote-controlled airplane from cardboard.✈️ As an RC enthusiast who loves drones and everything related to remote-controlled vehicles, I always wanted to create my own plane, but I was put off by the high costs and complexity of traditional materials. So, I decided to take a different approach and use readily available and affordable materials like cardboard. However, I was initially hesitant because I wasn't sure if a plane made of cardboard would actually fly. But after doing some research and putting my design skills to the test, I decided to go for it. 🛠️ In this instructable, I'll guide you through the process of building a sturdy and functional RC airplane using a cardboard fuselage and wings, along with a few 3D-printed parts and the electronics. This project was not only fun and educational but also incredibly rewarding. I learned a...

Did you know that if your ear hairs grow, it is because your body is

  Did you know that if your ear hairs grow, it is because your body is Ear hair growth is a natural part of aging for many people. As we get older, hormonal changes can lead to an increase in hair growth in certain areas, including the ears. This is often due to changes in testosterone levels, which can stimulate hair follicles in the ear. Additionally, genetics can play a role in how much ear hair a person develops. While some people may notice only a little hair growth, others might experience more significant growth. It’s a normal process, but if the hair becomes bothersome, there are grooming options available to manage it. It’s also interesting to note that some people might be more prone to this due to their family history. If you notice it becoming a bit much, there are safe ways to manage it, like trimming or using specialized grooming tools. Just make sure to be careful when doing so! Ear hair growth is a common phenomenon, especially as people age. Th...