Skip to main content

Why this female worker wants to ditch her shirt

 

Why this female worker wants to ditch her shirt

The differences and inequalities between men and women have been a central part of societal debate for hundreds of years — and the topic remains just as relevant today.

Now, there is a female landscaper in Sydney, Australia, has set social media on fire after calling out what she sees as a major double standard in the workplace — why can men work shirtless in the heat, but women can’t?

”It’s a f—ing 40-degree day today..”

We all know how tough it can be to work outside when the sun is blazing and the heat is relentless. If you’ve ever had to power through a scorching day on the road or at a construction site, you know exactly what I’m talking about.

When I was growing up, it wasn’t unusual to see road workers or construction workers shirtless on hot days. It might not be as common today, but I still occasionally see men working with sunburned shoulders and nothing on top.

Shianne Fox, an Australian tradeswoman who goes by the name “The Bikini Tradie” on social media, took to TikTok to vent her frustration after being told she couldn’t remove her shirt while working outside on a scorching 104°F (40°C) day.

”It’s a f—ing 40-degree day today and I’m the one who has to wear my shirt, while all the boys on-site don’t have to wear theirs,” she ranted and continued:

“It’s a double standard, it’s sexist, and I’m actually really over it. I just want to be topless like the boys—but no, I will ‘distract them’.”

Fox, who often works in a bikini top due to the intense heat, said she was simply asking for equal treatment, just like her male ”tradies” (”tradie” is Australian slang for a tradesperson, referring to skilled workers in fields like carpentry, plumbing, or electrical work)

A battle over gender equality or a step too far?

Fox, who has worked in male-dominated trades for over four years and typically wears a bikini while she’s completing tasks, said she’s comfortable in her own skin and believes there’s nothing inappropriate about her request.

Foxx argued that working topless shouldn’t be considered “distracting” since it’s a “natural thing.” However, critics pointed out that societal norms and workplace standards exist for a reason, and professionalism should take precedence over personal comfort.

“It was such a hot day. Obviously, when you work in the industry, lots of the boys have their tops off. I thought it was only fair if I could get mine off, too. I have no shame in getting my b–bs out.”

“I don’t think it should be ‘distracting’ because at the end of the day they’re just a natural thing. At the end of the day, we all have breasts. It’s just a natural thing. If you’re going to be childish and feel like they’re going to be distracting, then you should just grow up,” she told News.au.com.

Fox, who also shares content on an adult website, says she knows her stance is controversial but believes speaking out might encourage more women to join the trades.

“I thought if I put myself out there, maybe other women will want to join the industry,” she said.

Backlash from other women

Not all female tradies are standing with her. Many women in the industry feel that her social media presence — including videos of her working in a bikini top — is hurting their credibility.

One female tradeswoman commented:

“She does not speak for us female tradies.”

Another added:

“She makes real female tradies look bad.”

Fox’s video received thousands of comments, with many men agreeing with her stance.

“Yep, totally agree—spread the t-ts and f—k the boys,” one man wrote.

“I don’t think anyone would complain, miss,” another added.

But others weren’t convinced:

“Surely there’s an aircon in the kitchen,” one critic quipped.

The bigger picture

While Fox’s debate rages on, the reality is that women remain vastly underrepresented in blue-collar jobs.

A 2023 Deloitte survey revealed a staggering 12:1 ratio of men to women in trade work. With such a huge gender gap, Fox’s viral moment raises an important question: Should women be fighting for topless equality, or is the real battle about breaking into male-dominated industries in the first place?

Despite the gender imbalance in her field, Ms. Foxx said she enjoys working in male-dominated industries.

“A lot of people say you get catcalled, but it’s nothing like that at all,” she explained.

“From my experience, if you just go in there with your head held high and if you don’t let men have it over you.

“Stand your ground. They won’t do anything.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The devil waits at every crossroads: a walk between darkness and light on Dartmoor

  The devil waits at every crossroads: a walk between darkness and light on Dartmoor The new 38-mile Archangel’s Way, a pilgrimage route in a rugged corner of Devon, straddles Christendom and ancient pagan sites T he story of the church of St Michael de Rupe begins – as all the best Dartmoor stories do – on a dark and stormy night. A sailor, stricken in a wild and furious sea, fell to the deck of his ship to pray for salvation. The almighty unveiled a mountain in the midst of the tempest where the ship duly made landfall: in gratitude the sailor built a church on its summit. The devil – who had unleashed that evil storm – did his best to prise the church from its foundations, but Archangel Michael sprung to its defence and became the patron of this Devon parish. The tale has many versions, but this is the general gist. Today, St Michael de Rupe counts as the highest working church in southern England – poised dramatically on top of a western outlier of Dartmoor’s tor...

How to Make a DIY Carboard RC Plane (1-10)

  How to Make a DIY Carboard RC Plane Hello, fellow makers!👋  I'm excited to share my latest project with you—building a remote-controlled airplane from cardboard.✈️ As an RC enthusiast who loves drones and everything related to remote-controlled vehicles, I always wanted to create my own plane, but I was put off by the high costs and complexity of traditional materials. So, I decided to take a different approach and use readily available and affordable materials like cardboard. However, I was initially hesitant because I wasn't sure if a plane made of cardboard would actually fly. But after doing some research and putting my design skills to the test, I decided to go for it. 🛠️ In this instructable, I'll guide you through the process of building a sturdy and functional RC airplane using a cardboard fuselage and wings, along with a few 3D-printed parts and the electronics. This project was not only fun and educational but also incredibly rewarding. I learned a...

Did you know that if your ear hairs grow, it is because your body is

  Did you know that if your ear hairs grow, it is because your body is Ear hair growth is a natural part of aging for many people. As we get older, hormonal changes can lead to an increase in hair growth in certain areas, including the ears. This is often due to changes in testosterone levels, which can stimulate hair follicles in the ear. Additionally, genetics can play a role in how much ear hair a person develops. While some people may notice only a little hair growth, others might experience more significant growth. It’s a normal process, but if the hair becomes bothersome, there are grooming options available to manage it. It’s also interesting to note that some people might be more prone to this due to their family history. If you notice it becoming a bit much, there are safe ways to manage it, like trimming or using specialized grooming tools. Just make sure to be careful when doing so! Ear hair growth is a common phenomenon, especially as people age. Th...